03 June 2009

Shakespeare

I am actually getting frustrated with Shipwreck. I'm in the last section now, but it's taking longer than I anticipated. The lace is really simple but there are over 500 stitches in each round. I'm off to the library tomorrow to find some books on tape. There's a part of me that just wants to bind it off and call it good, but that doesn't seem right. And it would be too small if I did that. I really want to block it so my husband will stop saying that it looks weird.

In the meantime, it also makes good TV knitting. I'm re-watching the second season of Slings and Arrows right now. Shakespeare. Their second season was about Macbeth. The first time I saw that show, it was a high school production that was actually quite impressive. It's such a fascinating story. We read it in Shakespeare Lit class back in high school. Interesting that we read Macbeth, not Hamlet. We went through a lot of the comedies, a few tragedies and one or two histories. Sometimes we would just take turns reading the lines out loud, and sometimes we would actually try to act them out. Then there were a few movies, too. Shakespeare was meant to be performed. Just reading on your own--it's just words on a page, then. Actors make it spring to life. Anyway, the show Slings and Arrows--it captures the magic and the hell of theatre. There's that zing, that feeling when it's going well, and there's the chaos when it all disintegrates. It's incredible. It makes me miss theatre and it also makes me glad that I only did theatre in high school and didn't try to convince myself to pursue it as a career.

It does make me want to read more Shakespeare, which can only be for the best. I had better finish Northanger Abbey and Madame Bovary first though. Those books have characters that make me capable of reading only for a few chapters before I have to set the book down.

I suppose I had better do some more knitting tonight. I'm working on a gauge swatch for another project. If I knit the swatch up this week, I can see if the yarn will take to being dyed with food colouring before I start the whole thing. I'm not sure if it will, but beige is a dreary colour for a lace shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment and I'll make sure it gets posted as soon as possible. I currently get so few comments that I moderate to avoid spamming.