31 May 2012

Gluten-free: Days 4 and 5

I may be successfully avoiding gluten, but it really doesn't seem like it's making much of a difference. I'm less inclined to eat random junk food, especially mindlessly, which is a good change, but my sleeping habits and congestion haven't changed.

The other thing is that I'm not having the bread cravings that I'd expected. I'd like some bread, sure, and am debating making some kind of bruschetta on Sunday (we have sun-dried tomato spread, and we have olives that I can turn into tapenade), but it's not withdrawal level by any means. Either this means that I'm not as attached to bread as I thought I was, or I'm just not gluten-intolerant. One of my friends has spoken of feeling practically addicted to the stuff, and how her ADD got a lot better once she stopped eating gluten. Me, on the other hand, well, I've been just as alternately focused and spacey as I usually am, with the typical varying levels of pretty good and depression/anxiety (at least it's easier to deal with than it used to be).

I did try making some kind of snack food earlier, but managed to drop the jar of popcorn on the kitchen floor. It promptly shattered and I spent the next ten minutes cleaning it up. After that, I settled for some cheese and celery sticks and a cup of tea. I think I will get some more corn at the store later because movie night's tomorrow, but I've likely settled for a healthier snack, since I was considering putting brown sugar on the popcorn.

At any rate, my plan is to reincorporate gluten on Saturday (I'm going to a friend's house to put together knit-kits for the next guild event and if there's food there, I don't want to have to worry about it), and see how that goes. Tomorrow will still be gluten-free. If there's anything I've gathered from this, it's that I don't really need bready stuff most of the time, and it's made me think more about what I'm eating. Which is all to the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment and I'll make sure it gets posted as soon as possible. I currently get so few comments that I moderate to avoid spamming.